Thursday, August 06, 2009

still not perfect


The reading that I shared this morning after class was from what I call my fave sassy book on spirituality, The Red Book.

The reading seemed most appropriate and reminded me of an idea that I've recently revisited....the idea being that I'm still not perfect. Damn.

The basic idea of the reading is that sometimes on this spiritual path, as delightful and awakening as it is, we can get in our own way. Especially when we get so caught up in "my path", "my calling", and so on. Just insert all the dreamy words that I've come to love so much.

We're also halting our own growth when all we think about is ourselves and make every decision based on "me, me, me". Sometimes we forget our ethics, our relationships, and the larger community in general. Seems kinda counter intuitive, eh?

Last year I came completely clean in a post titled "a yogi confesses" or something along those lines (I'd link to it but I don't do things like labels that would make that easy). In the post I came clean about how imperfect I actually am. How I like to have a cold beer on a hot evening, and how much I enjoy some not so nice four letter words, and so on. I am a yoga teacher. And I am oh so human. And have just a few faults.

One new "thing" that I've come to recently discover is that sometimes I get so wrapped up in the studio and all the spirituality goodness that I forget who I am when those are stripped away.

It's murky. Cause so much of what I do and what I share is how I live. So relating in the world with my husband, my family and my friends in a way that is supportive, helpful and loving, yet not coming across as that "I am Sharon and I am perfect" sorta way. Does that make sense?

Hmmmm, something to think about.

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

I loved today's reading. It is so true, and something that I had been thinking about this week. As egoless as I try to be, that ole bugaboo ego still steps in and says, "See how much better I am than you. I lead such a good, pure life."

Well, the truth is that I try to lead such a life and, as you said, I'm "still not perfect."

Lisa said...

Such a meaningful point, oui? We never know, in the grand scheme of things, what the greater plan is. Though we have ideas of what might be the "right way of living" or "most spiritual path" or "in others best interest", we just might not realize how important are the lows, or the straying from the path, or the adversity, in the overall life experience. If we were all meant to live perfectly, we wouldn't have incarnated as human beings.

It is very difficulut to watch our loved ones experience pain, problems, fumbling around in the dark, but WE don't know how important ALL THAT might be to the evolution of the soul.

I feel that we are never really "striped" of our developed skills or qualities--maybe just out of the context we feel the contrast. So, perhaps "out of context" is a good time to let ourselves just BE those skills/qualities (without trying-because they are part of our fabric) rather than DO them.

To be, or not to be?!!!!!
I'm gonna choose BE when I get home!
Love and peace,
(p.s this is fun)

Jen said...

Great post, Sharon! I'm curious to learn more about "The Red Book" -- who's the author?

Sharon Tessandori said...

Ohh this is really juicy. Thanks for your input Jeanne and Lisa. More good stuff to ponder.

Love this.... "If we were all meant to live perfectly, we wouldn't have incarnated as human beings." So very true!

And Jen the book is by Sera Beak. You will LOVE it!