Saturday, November 15, 2008

investing in my sanity


That was the thought behind the purchase of my plane ticket to Mexico. This weeklong trip to Mexico in January will be worth....well let's just say a lot. I was at Maya Tulum in July for our annual yoga retreat and I'm set to be back next July. While I am in paradise at those times, I'm also "working" in paradise. Of course I could never complain and I wouldn't dare. But those times to a large degree are spent teaching and preparing to teach. I like to make this retreat extra special, so I put a lot of time and effort in both before and during the retreat (so if you're reading this and thinking of going next year, you totally should). It. Is. Amazing. So while it is a yoga retreat, it's not a complete retreat for me.

When people ask me why I'm going (back) to Mexico (as if I even need a reason....come on it's Mexico) I tell them that I'm making an investment in my sanity. I had looked at my planner and saw that I had something penciled in most every weekend from mid Jan. till mid April. Between yoga teacher training and another project that I'm keeping my fingers crossed about, I will be a busy yoga worker bee. Now that I've signed a lease for a new space,d my list of to do's continue to grow longer and longer. I told someone yesterday that it was a good thing that I had bought my ticket before signing the lease, otherwise I may not have done it. I was set on going to Mexico even if it meant going alone (although I do enjoy traveling and being by myself). I'm so excited to get to spend the week with both my brother and sister. I can't wait to share this place called Tulum that I grow to love more and more with each visit.

I promise my point is not to complain about the busyness (cause that would just be annoying) but to stress the importance of making the choices we need to make to take care of ourselves. As Oprah herself would say "putting ourselves on the list." That plane ticket to Mexico will pay itself off over and over. I know that. My peace of mind is pretty big and important to me. It's probably the most valuable asset as far as my work as a yoga teacher and taking care of Barefoot Works.

And can I just say that your enthusiasm and general rooting and rallying about the new space for Barefoot Works is kinda blowing my mind. Really. All of you are just phenomenal. All your words of kindness and encouragement truly mean more than you can ever know. I'm looking forward to this next step in the journey of Barefoot Works. And all of you are making this possible.

Thank you.
From the bottom of my big ol' heart.
Here's to the dreams, hopes, and wishes we all hold in our hearts.
May we all be lucky, blessed, and brave enough to see them through.

No comments: